St Cuthbert's Church Kentmere.
Little is known of the early history of this building. It has been suggested that parts may be of Norman or even Saxon times. It was re-roofed, probably in the mid-16th century, and the present ceiling beams are thought to be of that age. The building's site, in the middle of a circular walled burial ground next to a yew tree which is around 1000 years old, would suggest a very early place of worship.
Of the many St Cuthbert churches in the North of England, most were dedicated to Cuthbert after his cult became popular in the later middle ages. It is not known whether this church in Kentmere was built around that time and given a popular dedication, or whether there were any earlier associations between St Cuthbert and the site.