24th August 2008

An unexpected walk from Staveley

 

Walk Overview
Details
Time 10.30 to 12.30
Duration 2 hr
Distance 3.3 mile
Ascent 780 ft
Walking with Jennifer
Route
Staveley - Barley Bridge - Reston Scar - Black Crag - Kentmere Road - Staveley
 
Fells visited
Directory places visited

Starting Point Information Centre
Car park, Staveley village

This is quite a large car park, but very popular indeed. Not least because it is found next to Wilf's Café, which to say the least, is one of the best in the Lakes.

Parking is free.

 

Route Map
 
 
Photos

We found ourselves in Staveley this morning for a visit to the cycle shop. Our intention had been to call in at the shop for the piece of kit we were after and then to drive through to Kentmere and have a walk from there. Annoyingly, more so because the cycle shop seemed to stock everything you could possibly need for a bike, they didn't have what we wanted. The guy suggested another shop in Kendal, which was fair enough, but that would ruin the chance of a walk from Kentmere.

After a couple of minutes sitting in the car feeling fed up, we decided to have a walk up to Kemp Tarn and Reston Scar before trying the shop in Kendal.
After what was a disappointing start to the day we ended up having a great time. A nice walk from Staveley, the cycle shop in Kendal had what we were after and we had a nice drive over Shap.


The rooftops of Staveley.

The view back down the track leading to Kemp Tarn.

Kemp Tarn.

Reston Scar's summit cairn, looking towards the Kentmere fells.

And now looking down to Ings and the A591.

Patiently waiting for me to finish taking photos.

Heading across to Hugill Fell, found to the north of Reston Scar.

Looking into the more popular parts of the Lake District from the high point on Hugill Fell. The two 'small' dark rounded fells lust above the skull are Pike O'Stickle and Harrison Stickle.

The Kentmere Fells.

And again.

Hugill Fell summit.

 

Heading back down to the road and wishing we didn't need to trail into Kendal to look for bits for bikes.

We were walking in warm sunshine as we passed the weir next to Barley Bridge.

 

Reston Scar seen from Staveley.

St Margaret's Tower.
This is all that remains of the Chapel built in 1338 on land given by Sir William de Thweng, Baron of Kendal and the Lord of the manor of Staveley. A new parish church of St James was built on higher ground in 1865.

Gridlock in Staveley.

 



David Hall -
Lake District Walks